Friday, October 26, 2012

HW Variant Revealers fr 10-pk

The most exciting part in collecting diecast especially, those by Hot Wheels is it's always like hunting for the treasures.

Hot Wheels is fond of producing variants and sometimes you'll be surprised that there is this variant for the car they produced originally. There are also this called error variant - these cars are those that has factory defects (eg. mismatched wheels, missing parts, error on paint) or the result isn't what is expected. Sometimes it's hard to determine if it is actually a real variant or just an error. The best example of common variants that collectors have to check are base variants, paint variants and wheel variants.

As a collector, looking for these variants gives me some sort of excitement and happiness when I found one. It's like you found a treasure yourself that other collectors doesn't have. Having rare items in your collection isn't just keeping toys in your cabinet but gold and diamond in a treasure box.

I have few rare items in my collection and I'm very proud that I own them plus the fact that I got most of them for a very descent price - you don't buy treasure, you just give effort to dig and find them :D

Recently, I got these great addition to my collection of Shelby Cobra 427 or the Classic Cobra.

HW Revealers from 10-pack.


I got them sealed inside their baggie. I only need one so I decided to sell the other one. I immediately posted my extra piece online and it quickly got reserved to an online buyer. Suddenly, I received a private message from a co-cobra collector that he's also interested if the other one is painted with "pearl white". I was surprised that there is another variant of this. He said additionally that the original release is painted with flat/matte white and that he already have.

I was hesitant that these Shelby's I have are variants. The one I kept is actually pearl white and this is the rare one. So there is a higher chance that the other one is a regular release and is a flat white! The problem is, once I opened it and they're the same, I can't sell it at that price anymore plus I have to apologize to the first buyer because I promised that it's 100% sealed!

I had to take the risk for my curiosity or else, it will give me sleepless nights LOL!

And the best part is, when the treasure reveals itself :D

Pearl White paint 
Flat White paint

Compare them with each other. Left: Pearl white, Right: Flat white. (Click to enlarge the picture for closer look)


Closer. The one painted with Pearl White (left) is somewhat yellowish and glossy and the one on Flat White (right) is whiter and the texture is rough.

I'm very thankful to my co-Shelby Cobra collector, Mike. He saved these twins from being apart from each other LOL! And because of that, I owe him one Pearl White Cobra hahaha!

I know we (collectors) are weird when it comes to this part. I mean why would you buy the same item?? We'll basically, it's not the same. They have different color, texture and... value :D

'til next the post everyone :)


2 comments:

  1. uhmmm... i was investigating about this Shelby by HW and there are some series (not variations) you don’t have yet (or maybe they’re unpublished...) oh yeah !!! i’m pulling out your obsession LOL... the decor is pretty vintage (80’s maybe ???), also the wheels design, it must be a metal/metal diecast right ???

    oh, and you mentioned the "treasure hunt" factor (or should i say trea$sure hunt$ ??? LOL)... well, i have mixed feelings about that... actually i have found some little treasures by HW recently, but as an experienced collector (i’m learning fast, i guess) i began to ask myself: "are you paying the right price for those rarities or you are missing chances to get something better ???" and i found that sometimes HW and/or the second market/resellers are going a bit too far with the price point... i will share my thoughts about that in later publications, since i think is a sound reflection... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris welcome back :D

    Unpublished - yes :D I'm actually doing a catalog type website and it will only contain my Shelby collection. But I am not sure when it will be done :D currently, I think it's 40% done hahaha! I don't post so much of my Shelbys here - I don't want to bore you with the same meal every week haha.

    The Revealers series by HW was produced on 1993 so yeah it's vintage haha and you're right it's pure metal - those days when the castings are 100% diecast metal.

    I'm very guilty about paying for the right price hahaha! sometimes it's not the looks or the quality you are after to.. it's more on the value it has... and for these recent hauls I got, I must say, I have the looks, quality and the value LOL!

    Thanks for being here again pal. See you around ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...